Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to a session that we are convening at the next European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly in Vienna (27 April - 2 May 2014):

TS3.4/GMPV62 – QUARTZ, A MINERAL WITH MANY ‘FACES’

Convener: Manuel Sintubin (KU Leuven, Belgium)
Co-Conveners: Holger Stunitz
(University of Tromsĝ, Norway), Rüdiger Kilian (University of Basel, Switzerland),
M.R. Drury (University of Utrecht, The Netherlands)

Quartz is one of the most common minerals in the Earth’s crust, and our state of knowledge is greater than for many other crustal minerals. Its properties, from strength to solubility, play a key role in the rheological behaviour of rocks in the Earth’s crust. A wide range of brittle to plastic deformation mechanisms results in a richness of intra- and intercrystalline microstructures, storing a great deal of information concerning the ambient conditions present during their deformation history. Additionally, fluid-rock interaction resulting in dissolution-precipitation creep take place at the microscale and are expressed by cleavage development and quartz veins on a larger scale.
Recent advances in experimental and visualisation techniques have enabled to study these microstructures at a higher magnification and with a better resolution, as well as to explore possible geometrical and kinematical relationships between the different microstructures and the crystallography.
In this session we would like to discuss the interrelationship between all types of deformation microstructures in quartz and their significance with respect to the rheological behaviour of rocks in the Earth’s crust. Furthermore, the influence of fluid presence during brittle and crystalplastic deformation of quartz will be discussed on a large variety or scales. We welcome contributions from field-based, experimental and numerical research.

Information on our session can be found here: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/14741.

Information on abstract submission can be found here: http://www.egu2014.eu/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html.

General information on the EGU General Assembly 2014 can be found here : http://www.egu2014.eu

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:
Deadline for abstract submision - 16 January 2014, 13:00 CET
Deadline for (financial) Support Applications - 29 November 2013

If you have any questions concerning our session, don’t hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to seeing you in Vienna!

Best regards,
Manuel ([log in to unmask]), Holger ([log in to unmask]), Rüdiger ([log in to unmask]), Martyn ([log in to unmask])

------

Manuel Sintubin, PhD FGS
Professor of Geodynamics
Geodynamics & Geofluids Research Group

Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200E - box 2410
BE-3001 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0)16 32 64 47 - +32 (0)16 32 78 00
Fax: +32 (0)16 32 29 80
Mobile phone: +32 (0)496 50 25 79
E-mail:
Route description:
ees.kuleuven.be/geology/contact/howtoreachus/
------
ResearcherID:
A-7734-2012

ORCID: 0000-0002-5859-8573

------
IUGS
TecTask Vice-Chair

------

EGU2014 TS3.4/GMPV62 Quartz, a mineral with many 'faces'

------

Follow us on facebook

------

Follow me on twitter

------
KU Leuven Disclaimer
------
P Think Environment before printing this message  P