Your local archive should be place where you could get oral archives
managed and stored. They may even offer practical support and equipment as
we do in Surrey

Lalage Grundy
Surrey Heritage Team Manager for Learning, Museums and Partnership
130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND
Tel 01483 518782

Nigel Sadler <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK."
14/10/13 15:26
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Museums and older people panels

I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I belong to a local history society
(probably the second youngest member). Many have limited funds and
transport which limits what they can do and how they can get involved. The
society organises trips but I still see some people being left out for
many reasons. At the same time I see all members being very active during
meetings and during a recent presentation there was major participation
from the floor through reminiscing about events and day to day life in the
community over the last 50 years. However, what was said has now been lost
as no one recorded it (with hindsight the local museum should have been
invited to do just that!).

Therefore, we should see this sector of the community not only as visitors
but also as important information providers. Their recollections are
priceless. I know many local community groups do try to carry our oral
history but often they have no support, poor equipment and no way to
manage recordings after they are done. Therefore, doesn't this open up an
area where museums can not only provide training but also be a home for
data collected.

Also, it doesn't need high tech to capture people's recollections. Back in
the mid 1990s the museum I was at had an exhibition on Wash Day. People
attending were encouraged to write down their recollections and leave them
in the gallery for others to read.

Nigel Sadler

Sands of Time Consultancy
http://www.sandsoftimeconsultancy.com