Agreed - at Banbury Museum there's a reminiscence group which does record people's memories. When I've been along to a meeting of the group, it really seemed to have a representative cross section of local people.

I see there's an item from one of the group's members on the MA site: http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-change-lives/08082013-museums-change-lives-trevor

On 14 October 2013 15:26, Nigel Sadler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I belong to a local history society (probably the second youngest member). Many have limited funds and transport which limits what they can do and how they can get involved. The society organises trips but I still see some people being left out for many reasons. At the same time I see all members being very active during meetings and during a recent presentation there was major participation from the floor through reminiscing about events and day to day life in the community over the last 50 years. However, what was said has now been lost as no one recorded it (with hindsight the local museum should have been invited to do just that!).

Therefore, we should see this sector of the community not only as visitors but also as important information providers. Their recollections are priceless. I know many local community groups do try to carry our oral history but often they have no support, poor equipment and no way to manage recordings after they are done. Therefore, doesn't this open up an area where museums can not only provide training but also be a home for data collected.

Also, it doesn't need high tech to capture people's recollections. Back in the mid 1990s the museum I was at had an exhibition on Wash Day. People attending were encouraged to write down their recollections and leave them in the gallery for others to read.

Nigel Sadler

Sands of Time Consultancy
http://www.sandsoftimeconsultancy.com

From: "Pimblett, Jan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, 14 October 2013, 15:10

Subject: Re: Museums and older people panels

Just to add not all older people are engaged – there are many who do not have opportunities or confidence or resources or feel that culture and heritage is for them. These responses based on experience don’t just magically transform because one gets a bit grizzled.

So maybe seeking out the people who are absent / under-represented amongst older audiences would be the thing to think about.

Jan

Not grumpy but certainly grizzled