Surely the wealthy older market is already securely captured then?!

On 14 October 2013 14:41, Barry Creasy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Could I just add a plea for this?

The cultural sector is forever banging on about young people, and yet, as the National Trust, and, indeed, many concert halls, have shown, attendance by older people at cultural events, and of cultural sites is massive. It could be argued that they are a key audience to capture. They have plenty of disposable income, they have time, and they have interest. We are also an aging population  -  there will never be a shortage of older people. And you know what? All those young people get old. It’s a renewable resource.

I’d argue that this group, almost more than any other, is a group to target for cultural activities.

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John McMahon
Sent: 14 October 2013 13:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Museums and older people panels

This is a great question, Dan! A couple of months back, I saw a really interesting video project done by the Museum of London, around an on-going project capturing memories of the old docklands/poplar region from senior tenants of a local housing association. (Kirsty Marsh and Halima Khanom may be able to provide further details – hope you don’t mind me cc’ing you here, guys!)

There’s a seam of engagement of older communities running through next month’s Museums Association conference, too.

I reckon FWW funding could provide an excellent spur for reminiscence groups that could crystallise into on-going user panels?

There’s probably a lot of scope for work around mutually reinforcing inter-generational work, too (ie constructing overlaps between youth panels and parallel groups for older visitors).

Intrigued to see how this discussion develops!

John