Dear GEMs,

I really can't thank you enough for all of the responses to my question
about the GLOs the other day. The discussion has prompted a follow-up
question, on which I would really welcome your thoughts.

A lot of the responses I received indicated that the GLOs (and to a
slightly lesser extent the GSOs) are really useful as a tool for
planning, developing and evaluating specifically learning-related
activities. This is excellent news, but I was wondering whether people
were also using them to inform more general museum development and
planning.

I am specifically interested in whether GLOs or GSOs have been applied
to things like collections management, documentation or collections
development. The reason I ask is that the Collections Trust is really
interested in finding ways that they 'supply' of collections-related
information can be better-tuned to the demand for collections-based
experiences, for example in teaching and learning.

Has anyone, for example, used learning outcomes to inform the selection
of a collections management system or the development of a
collections-based website? Has anyone got any experience of providing
ILFA-based training to colleagues in collections or curatorial roles?

I am aware that there is a risk for collections-based work sometimes to
be seen as slightly reflexive and self-serving, and we really want to
find ways of making it a more effective delivery mechanism for the
actual impact and outcomes of the museum.

Any thoughts, examples or pointers would be very greatly appreciated!

With thanks,

Nick

Nick Poole
Chief Executive Officer
Collections Trust

  <http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/events/dam2013>

Join the Collections Trust's Collections Management LinkedIn group
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3280471&trk=my_groups-b-grp-v>  -
6000 collections professionals worldwide!

Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust
<http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust>

Visit Collections Trust online

www.collectionstrust.org.uk <http://www.collectionstrust.org.uk/>

www.collectionslink.org.uk <http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/>

www.culturegrid.org.uk <http://www.culturegrid.org.uk/>

Company Registration No: 1300565 Registered Charity No: 273984

Registered Office: Collections Trust, WC 209, Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD