This is interesting Nick. I'd like to know more about how they have modified them for community (and I assume adult/family) use. NIACE developed the "Recognition and Recording of Progress and Achievement" framework (RARPA) for non-accredited adult/community learning. This is compulsory in England for providers who use government funding to deliver non-accredited learning. It is being advised to be used in Wales. You might want to have a look at it. There will be info on the NIACE website www.niace.org.uk<http://www.niace.org.uk>

I have, for some years, been advocating the need to look at the GLOs and RARPA to map relevances between them. Sadly nothing has happened because we can't find the funding to allow us to do so.

Essex

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Poole
Sent: 09 October 2013 09:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Generic Learning Outcomes

Dear GEMs,

I am currently attending a 3-day museum development event for Norwegian museums, which includes a programme of workshops around learning & education in museums.

Part of the discussion has revealed that several of the Scandanavian communities, particularly Sweden, have adopted the Generic Learning Outcomes (and Generic Social Outcomes) models originally developed in the UK and have adapted them to provide a structured approach to heritage learning in their community.

This prompts me to ask what the status of the GLO's (and GSO's) is in the UK today? Are people quietly still using them, and if so, do they connect in any way to the current discussions around cultural education?

I'm not going anywhere specific with this, but having been peripherally involved in the original rollout of the GLO's I would be interested to know whether they are a thing of the past or an active part of museum learning today and, if the former, whether they have been replaced with anything in particular.

With thanks in advance for any views people are happy to share!

Nick

Nick Poole
Chief Executive Officer
Collections Trust
[cid:image001.png@01CEAEE7.16BC4A40]<http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/events/dam2013>
Join the Collections Trust's Collections Management LinkedIn group<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3280471&trk=my_groups-b-grp-v> - 6000 collections professionals worldwide!

Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust

Visit Collections Trust online
www.collectionstrust.org.uk<http://www.collectionstrust.org.uk/>
www.collectionslink.org.uk<http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/>
www.culturegrid.org.uk<http://www.culturegrid.org.uk/>

Company Registration No: 1300565 Registered Charity No: 273984
Registered Office: Collections Trust, WC 209, Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=GEM + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +