Hi Mark

The gradient directions provided by your physicist should be identical to the bvecs, as long as there is no slice angulation in the acquisition. If you acquire oblique slices, then dcm2nii will apply a rotation to the gradient directions to account for the slice angulation.

If you have b matrices for each DW volume, you should also be able to get the corresponding bvec entry using the principal eigenvector of the b matrix.

Hope this helps
Stam