Hi Rujing,

The statement is fine. After a few iterations of the while-loop where it lies, the ADDCOMMAND will be something as "add somefile1 -add somefile2 -add somefile3 -add ...". This variable is used as the input for fslmaths a few lines below, but fslmaths need an initial image before -add can proceed, so this statement that you found removes the first instance of "-add" from the variable, so that fslmaths works in a meaningful way.

All the best,

Anderson