Hi Stefano,

You can run tractography with masks in MNI space, as long as you provide the diffusion-> MNI transformations, there is no need to transform the data.

If you feel that these transformations are not good enough you should try to improve them rather than applying them to the data (as they will result to imperfectly co-registered data).

Do you use a structural image as an intermediate step in the registration, i.e. diffusion->structural->MNI? Have you tried nonlinear registration with FNIRT? Finally, have you corrected for distortions the diffusion images? Large residual distortions can result to misalignments.

Cheers
Stam