Hello UKDHM Supporters,
We hope you are well and that you had a great summer! That time of year is fast approaching and UK Disability History Month is just 6 WEEKS AWAY!!!
It would be really great to hear what people are planning to do. The theme for this year is ‘Celebrating our Struggle for Independent Living: No Return to Institutions or Isolation’. We encourage people to organise events which follow the theme – however as long as you are coming from a social model perspective then we welcome other types of events.
Last year’s UKDHM was a big success with events running all over the country. It is really important to keep this momentum and we are encouraging everyone to get involved!

Please find attached an invitation to our official launch which is being held on:
Tuesday 19thNovember 2013
5.30- 8pm
At the Abbey Community Centre, 34 Great Smith Street, London SW1 P3BU
We are still finalising the line up- but expect an exciting evening of speakers, discussion, entertainment and networking. Please confirm your attendance by replying to this email.
If you need any more information about the theme or want resources, speakers etc. please get in touch at this email address or call 0207 3592855/ 07907346273. We have produced a comprehensive teaching resource about the history of independent living- this will be available soon on the NUT’s website (more info to follow) and can be easily adapted for use in other settings.
So please get in touch – we want to get everyone’s events up on the website as soon as possible! As always affiliations and donations are always welcome to cover the costs involved in coordinating UK Disability History Month.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and hopefully seeing you on 19th!
Best wishes
Nancy
UKDHM Team