Call for papers: Geopoetics Sessions at the 2014 AAG

Organizer: Eric Magrane

These sessions intend to take neither geographic thought nor poetry as static text. As cultural geographies continue to engage, apply, and question the creative disciplines, movements in contemporary poetry and poetics such as ecopoetics also find space for critical-creative hybrids, as well as poetics as embodied landscape practices. If ecopoetics is a ‘house-making’,[i] then geopoetics is an earth-making. What comes from such a thing? What earth are we making? Who are we, and where are we going? In these sessions we’ll tease out some of the growing conversations between cultural-critical geography, poetry, and poetics. Papers can take various forms, from hybrid creative-critical pieces, to literary geography readings of work of specific poets, to geopoetic performance, to methodological pieces on poetry as research. Both geographers and poets, as well as poet-geographers, are welcome.

Possible topics include: geography and ecopoetics; site-based poetics & geopoetics as site ontology; place-writing-strategies; geopoetics and resistance; feminist geopoetics; geo-ethno-poetics; bioregional geopoetics; geologic time, geography, and poetry; poetry as a social science research method; trans and genderqueer geopoetics; nonhuman geopoetics and animal geographies; posthuman geopoetics; can poetry do anything about climate change and ecological crises; poetic political ecologies; geopoetics & non-rep theory.

Please submit abstracts to Eric Magrane by October 31.

Questions, thoughts, ideas, poems: email beforehand.

Sponsored by Cultural Geography Specialty Group

[i] J. Skinner, Editor's statement. ecopoetics, 1(1), 2001, 5-8.