CfP DOPE 2014: Labor and the More-than-Human

Session Organizers:

Daniel Boscov-Ellen [log in to unmask] (The New School)

Sophie Lewis      [log in to unmask] (Manchester University)

Our session proposes a focus on the question of labor and nature: the participation of the latter category in the former, and vice versa. Rather than setting up the traditional anti-political dichotomy between humankind and the rest of the world (a dualism which still inheres in most “green” thought), we would like to consider certain aspects of their interpenetration and mutual constitution. Leaving behind the defunct ‘modernism’ of environmentality and re-animating the task of responsibly sharing the earth with others might mean, we suggest, taking up the idea of organizing as “more-than-humans”.

We invite contributions:

.  extending revolutionary inquiry into present global work/employment relations beyond the human

.  illuminating new forms of work emergent together with neo-nature(s) that enable us to grapple with a new conception of the political

.  exploring rapports between post-work imaginaries (the refusal of work) and refusals of nature

.  engaging politically with Karl Marx as a cyborg theorist

defining the importance of a more-than-humanist metaphysics of political ecology for lived anticapitalist struggles

Abstracts of no more than 300 words should be submitted to [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] by December 2nd. Registration and attendance fee payment should be made at politicalecology.org.