Dear Colleagues,

As always, apologies for cross posting.

Some of you have already contacted us regarding your intention to submit and we have already received some submissions to the themed issue, but this is one final reminder to those of you wishing to contribute (or to those amongst you who know someone else who may be interested in contributing) that the deadline for submitting full papers is the 31st of October.

All the best,

Peter

Invitation to submit to a themed issue of Hospitality & Society on Food, Drink and Hospitality

Guest Editors

Peter Lugosi, Oxford Brookes University ([log in to unmask])

Hannah Lambie-Mumford, Sheffield University ([log in to unmask])

Andrea Tonner, University of Strathclyde ([log in to unmask])

Details of the themed issue

Philosophical enquiry has enriched our understanding of hospitality – providing intellectual legitimacy to its study while broadening interest in the topic (Barnett, 2005; Derrida, 2001; Dikeç et al., 2009). However this has led to abstract re-conceptualisations of hospitality and a tendency to use notions of hospitality to view relations at national, regional and city scales rather than at the level of everyday micro-geographies involving transactions of food and drink. Moreover, this body of work has tended to treat philosophical debates surrounding hospitality and society separately from commercial practices. Meanwhile, academics concerned with commercial hospitality have largely ignored abstract philosophical debates and perspectives. Several studies have attempted to create links between abstract and more mundane, tangible conceptions of hospitality and between its social and commercial manifestations (Bell, 2007; Germann Molz and Gibson, 2007; Lashley et al., 2007; Lugosi, 2009; Lynch et al., 2011) and this themed issue seeks to build on this emerging body of work.

We invite colleagues to explore the complex interactions between food, drink and hospitality, and to make explicit connections between the abstract and philosophical dimensions of hospitality and its material, embodied and sensual practices. We are keen to develop cross-disciplinary dialogue and we encourage contributions from colleagues working in sociology, anthropology, geography, history, philosophy, cultural and media studies, gender studies, business and management, design, literary studies, health and nutrition and psychology, as well as related fields.

We welcome empirical and theoretical works adopting a variety of different theoretical approaches and methods, including, but not limited to: Ethnographic, Symbolic Interactionist, Actor-Network Theory, Discourse Analysis, Visual Methods, Phenomenological, Post-Colonial, Critical Theory and Gender Studies Perspectives. Papers may examine historical and contemporary contexts, and comparative, cross-cultural studies are particularly welcome. We strongly encourage contributions from emerging as well as established scholars.

Manuscripts (between 6000-8000 words) should be submitted by the 31st of October, 2013 to all three editors.

Guidance for authors on formatting manuscripts: http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/MediaManager/File/Notes%20for%20Contributors%2012-2010.doc

Details of the Hospitality & Society journal: http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=194/view,page=2/