Apologies for cross-posting

Exurban Studies:  Methodologically and Theoretically Situating an Emerging Subfield

Session Organizers:

Innisfree McKinnon, University of Oregon

Seth Gustafson, University of Georgia

Despite the hopes of many planners and environmentalists, the 2008 economic crisis does not appear to have produced a long term shift away from sprawling development patterns in historically rural areas.  The 2008 crisis, along with other social and environmental processes, has, however, complicated the social, economic, and environmental legacies of decades of urban development in the countryside.  Indeed, recent scholarship has illustrated exurbia as a spatial formation of dramatic upheaval and disjuncture, posing a litany of questions of governance, management, social equity, and environmental degradation.

We are looking to bring together human-, physical-, and techniques-based papers that approach the problems, contradictions, and conflicts of exurban development from a variety of methodological and theoretical perspectives. We are particularly interested in papers that bring new theoretical or methodological approaches to the study of exurbia. How can we, as academics, move beyond describing the dilemmas posed by exurbanization and instead move toward producing research useful to exurban communities, land holders, policymakers, activists, and especially to those paying the inevitable social costs of exurbanization? What seemingly divergent approaches to exurbia can be brought together to produce useful insights?

Potential topics include,  but are not limited to:

Please send an abstract of no more than 250 words to Innisfree McKinnon ([log in to unmask]) and Seth Gustafson ([log in to unmask]) by Friday, November 8, 2013.