Dear all,

please find below a cfp for a workshop at York University in Toronto and
be aware of the short deadline.

Best,

Uli

CCGES Transatlantic Forum 2013

Borders, migration crisis

York University, Toronto, Nov 29/30 2013

Borders and migration are often linked to crises in multiple ways.
Current discussions about the partial reintroduction of border controls
in the EU, for example, are linked to the Euro-crisis - they are
reactions to an economic crisis and accompanied by blame-shifting on
migrant others and a different scale of governance. They also draw on
discourses of crisis - a "crisis of immigration" or of the asylum system
in the EU. They represent a politically and discursively created crisis.
They are linked to political upheavals around the Mediterranean.  They
can be viewed as a multiple humanitarian crisis - in the countries of
origin, on the transit routes like the Mediterranean and in the migrant
detention centres across the EU. And finally, they are linked to a
manufactured "crisis of multiculturalism" in some EU countries.
Such connections do not only exist in the EU, but they characterise much
of migration and border policy across the world, in North America as
much as in the EU and Africa.
In this workshop, we would like to explore these different connections
between crisis, migration and borders, both in current examples and
their genealogies. A special focus will be on comparisons between the
German/European and North American settings.

We welcome expressions of interest and abstracts with a deadline of Oct
20th. We have some funding for participants from Germany, but very
limited funding available for North American participants. The workshop
is organised at the Canadian Centre for German and European Studies at
York University, Toronto. Contact John Kannankulam (Marburg/York,
[log in to unmask]) and Ulrich Best (York,

The annual Transatlantic Forum workshops at the Canadian Centre for
German and European Studies are designed to bring together
interdisciplinary and international groups of scholars
and to enable research on a wide range of topics in current German and
European studies.