Hi Mani,
Yes: maps should have higher than 10A resolution for automated B-factor
correction. The reason why is explained in Rosenthal&Henderson 2003:
from 10A onwards the Guinier plot of molecules becomes flat, which is
what we use for finding the B-factor. If you have less than 10A
resolution, than you should use the --adhoc_bfac to sharpen your map.
However, at 18A resolution, sharpening will probably not make such a big
difference...
HTH,

--
Sjors Scheres