Hi Frank,
     Do not forget that membrane protein crystals are often fragile and
difficult to manipulate.
Finding good cryo condition can be difficult and small temperature
variation can destroy crystals
within minutes, this makes room temperature diffraction tests not always
obvious. The time of harvest may also be critical. In addition to the
previous suggestions, it is often usefull to check if there is  a large
amount of lipids in the sample. This can often easily be done by thin
layer chromatography.
HTH
Daniel