Dear Yafang,

You should not do it. R-merge is not a criterion one should use to make
such decisions, particularly after the refinement is finished. It was
extensively discussed here, including answers to one of your previous
posts.

If you have a problem with reviewers please post their specific concerns
on-line, so CCP4 community can help you to prepare an answer.
Unfortunately, in spite of extensive literature on the subject, the
"R-merge" argument is still regularly used by both PIs and reviewers, and
people who are on its receiving end are not always in the best position to
argue. Therefore, I propose to prepare a semi-generic, collective answer
to such reviewers/PIs, or if this is too much effort, at least to share
reviews and answers. There is no ethical issue here as reviewers usually
wish to remain anonymous.

I am attaching one of the reviews we got and the answer to it. It was
written just before CC1/2 was introduced, so we could not discuss it. We
also did not discuss anisotropy (cubic crystals) or the power of
NCS-averaging. It would be great, if other people could add it with their
"answers to the reviewers".

Dominika

Yafang Chen wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a structure at 2.45A which has been well refined. However, since
the
> R-merge at the last shell is above 1 (although I/sigmaI at the last
shell
> is more than 2), we now decide to cut back the resolution to about 2.6A.
Is
> there a way to do this based on the well-refined model instead of doing
the
> MR and refinement all over again? Thank you so much for your help! Best,
Yafang

Dominika Borek, Ph.D. *** UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd. *** Dallas, TX 75390-8816
214-645-6378 (phone) *** 214-645-6353 (fax)