Many (more) reviewers ???? - [panic on Roberto's face]
Isn't real peer-review just a question of standing the test of time?
A piece of work blatantly wrong will sooner or later be picked up by someone (although I acknowledge that wrong papers can have serious consequences on one's ability to
get funding).  Limitations on a piece of research due to whatever reason will be hopefully lessened by other authors or the next generation(s) of scientists.
Overall, I don't think the current system is really that bad.

Cheers
Roberto

On 10 Oct 2013, at 06:57, miguel <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

> (Sorry if you get this twice. The first time as marked as junk by our email server. Well, it may be junk after all...)
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> Impact factor is the last refuge of the publishing system as it is.
> Precisely because in this ocean of untrusted publications we tend to
> believe that high impact factor journals deserve our respect. This is
> more or less all right: among those who have investigated the issue some
> are more pessimistic than others about the quality of papers published
> in those journals. Yet, it is hard to believe that their papers are
> generally worse than those of not-so-high impact factor journals. But
> from a scientific point of view, taking into account the evolution of
> research and publishing, the trust that we give to high impact journals
> is, in my opinion, wishful thinking.
>
> Concerning peer-reviewing, I don't think that adding more opacity will
> help. On the contrary. What I believe, but I don't have any proof of it,
> is that peer-reviewing is useful only if it is more transparent, engages
> in a real scientific discussion (understood as a conversation, not as an
> exchange of messages separated by weeks) and is open to (many) more
> reviewers. But that alone will not help if the way research is done does
> not evolve at the same time.
>
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 18:56:32 -0700, Marco Lolicato wrote:
>> Hi scientists,
>> this interesting topic brought back to my mind a similar discussion I
>> had with a colleague of mine and now I want to share it with you guys.
>> As Vale already pointed out, the peer-review process seems to be far
>> from an ideal system: there are many papers in which one of the author
>> is himself the editor of the journal in which the paper is published;
>> the impact factor of a journal is becoming the "only" way to judge the
>> quality of a paper (and of the authors) [example:  one of the European
>> Commission grants has as mandatory eligibility criterium that the
>> applicant should have at least one paper published in a "high IF
>> journal"...I'm asking...Why?].
>> I have also the suspect (from my insignificant experience) that some
>> papers are accepted in really high IF journals without a clear
>> peer-review process, but basing the decision mostly on the authors
>> listed in that paper.
>> Anyway, for those reasons and more, I was wondering if maybe is
>> nowadays needed to revisit the peer-review process. One thing that
>> immediately came out was: the authors of a papers should be hidden to
>> both the reviewers and the editors, so that paper will be judged only
>> on the intrinsic quality and not from the names on it or from the
>> country.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to see your opinion.
>>

>> Marco
>>

>> Il giorno 09/ott/2013, alle ore 15.00, Miguel Ortiz Lombardia ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi denizens,
>>>
>>> Now that Biology has gone missing, at least in the programs of the
> [...]

Roberto A. Steiner
Group Leader
Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics
King's College London

Room 3.10A
New Hunt's House
Guy's Campus