De : CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Sweet, Robert
Envoyé : mercredi 9 octobre 2013 23:52
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: [ccp4bb] השב: [ccp4bb] Why nobody comments about the Nobel committee decision?

It deserves comment!!  I've been too busy talking with my friends about it to think of CCP4.

This morning on NPR I heard Karplus's name and started to whoop and holler, and by the time they got to Arieh I realized they had a Hat Trick!!  It's a spectacular thing that this field should get recognition!

An interesting feature to me is that, at least when I was following the field, these three use physics to do their work, modeling with carefully estimated spring constants, etc., and eventually QM results. Those who use phenomenology -- hydrophobic volumes, who likes to lie next to whom, etc. -- are extremely effective (you know who they are), and they deserve credit.  But they (we, some years ago) stand on the shoulders of the achievements of these three.

It's good to remember the late, great, Tony Jack, cut down before reaching his prime.

Bob