Maybe there is a reason you haven't tried this, but can you just mutate the cysteines that ligate the cluster? Serine would be a nice choice.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yuri Pompeu" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:33:50 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [ccp4bb] Off Topic- Fe-S electron transfer

Dear Community,

I apologize for the off topic question but it is hard to resist since so many of our colleagues are incredibly knowledgeable.

I am looking for a way to block or even remove the 2Fe-2S cluster in my enzyme. This cluster is involved in transferring electron from the Alpha to the Beta subunit and I wish to block this for an experiment.
Does anyone know of a reagent or procedure that is known to do this (elegance is optional)? I first thought of EDTA but I don't think it will work given the covalent character of the Fe-S bonds.

Thank you

--
Michael C. Thompson

Graduate Student

Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Division

Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry

University of California, Los Angeles