Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 154 October 28, 2013 web pdf Heterodox Economics Directory

Hey, I am Jakob Kapeller, and I am the new editor of the Heterodox Economics Newsletter. I have the honor as well as the burden to stand on the shoulders of giants like Fred (Lee), Ted (Schmidt) and Tae-Hee (Jo) and I will try to do my best in carrying on what they started.

Personally, I would say that I am an "economist, who accidentally became a philosopher" - trained as an economist and socio-economist, but employed by philosophers, who found my interest in a critical approach to economics less frightening than my fellow economists. Specifically, my work focuses on epistemological questions in social science, heterodox economics and the history of political and economic ideas. Recently, I have been more strongly concerned with mathematical models (of course in a stock-flow-consistent tradition!) and quantitative methods (when trying to estimate how "rich" the "rich" really are). And, sometimes (but only sometimes) I dwell into management studies doing work in the field of organizational research (mostly together with this great academic). If you are interested in my work and/or hobbies you can visit my webpage or write me an email.

More importantly, my main motivation to carry on the work on the Heterodox Economics Newsletter is that the Newsletter is a great community service. And somebody has to take care of that; and since you can't always expect others to do the dirty work, you have to do it yourself - at least sometimes. So that is, essentially, why I am here.

Even more importantly, I also try to implement some technical changes in the Newsletter. For example, we plan to allow for direct submissions to the Newsletter via a simple entry form on our webpage. This has two advantages: First, it reduces copy-paste work to dust (1:0 for efficiency). Second, it gives people, who want to submit something to the Newsletter more control with regard to what is actually published (1:0 for emancipation). This could even end up in a Pareto-improvement (and we all know how hard this is to achieve!) and we hope to finish the technical implementation till the next newsletter is published. However, with all this technical gadgetry there also comes the cost of automatization: the danger of carelessness. In this context this issue of the Newsletter is not only a regular issue, but also some kind of "beta-test" for our new editing system. If you find a series of errors or anything disturbing - send us an email, we are hungry for feedback.

Finally, as in any first issue of anything we have to say "thank you" to a whole lot of people: To those who started all the work (Fred, Ted, Tae-Hee) and to all other people who contributed throughout all these years. I, personally, have to thank the Austrian Chamber of Labour, most notably the head of its division for economics and statistics, Markus Marterbauer, for providing modest, but decisive financial support for this project. I also have to thank Herwig Hochleitner for providing state-of-the-art IT-Services and my editorial assistant Florian Springholz, without whom I would be completely lost. Naturally, I have to thank my wife for not killing me (or worse: leaving me) when I explained to her what I have agreed to take care for ;-)

It is a great to have that much support - and I will try to put it to some good use.

Sincerely yours,

Jakob

Editor

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
www.heterodoxnews.com

Table of contents

Listserv information can be found at http://listserv.buffalostate.edu