From: HEEON equal opportunities list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Lechner, Andrea [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 October 2013 11:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: International Staff

Hi

We have over the past few years started recruiting a lot more international staff than we used to historically. Particularly, staff who had no experience of working or living in the UK, who came straight from their own country.

A number of these new staff have had significant problems with settling in at ARU and settling into the UK. There have been personal problems as well as not understanding the UK HE culture.

We have read the ECU guide on Improving the Experiences of International Staff in UK Higher Education and have found that very helpful but wondered whether anybody is willing to share with us whether they had similar problems, where international staff struggled with the expectations of a UK HEI, particularly a post-92 with a high teaching load. Our students also have increasingly high expectations, including the expectation of being treated as a customer whereas some of our international staff are not used to the concept of the student as a customer, or where they come from a culture with different types of teaching methods.

We would be grateful if you could share any experiences and/or knowledge you might have, also from Russell Group or 1994 Group institutions.

Regards,

Andrea

Andrea Lechner

HR Manager (Development & Diversity)

HR Services

Tel. 0845 196 4928

Email. [log in to unmask]

cid:image003.png@01CEBDD9.E72FB760    219641_COI_Stoptober_EmailSig

World-leading research.  The government rated 8 areas of our research activity as world-leading in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, they were:   Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design; English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies; History; Music; Psychology and Social Work & Social Policy & Administration.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named recipient(s) only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in error you must take  no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone: please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and then immediately delete the e-mail from your system. Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.
Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which may not be a 100% secure communications.

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "