If the urine does not turn black on standing, try making the urine alkaline and then if it is alkaptunuria it should turn black . Then you might want to send Simon a urine for organic acid analysis for confirmation

Best to all

Mike

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Olpin
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 11:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Black discharge

Try Alkaptonuria.

Kind wishes,

Simon

Dr Simon Olpin PhD CSci FRCPath
Consultant Clinical Scientist in Inherited Metabolic Disease
Department of Clinical Chemistry
Sheffield Children's Hospital
Western Bank
Sheffield S10 2TH
 + 44 (0)114 2717267

>>> "Hunt Natalie (LTHTR)" <[log in to unmask]> 10/18/2013 3:01 pm >>>
Dear All,

We have been asked for our thoughts on the cause of a black vaginal discharge in a Gynaecology patient. Anatomical causes including fistulas and bleeding have been excluded. Apparently the patient's urine is not black but she is presenting black sanitary towels to her consultant at each appointment. Does anyone have any ideas of a physiological cause or any further testing for this patient?

Many thanks
Natalie Hunt