Hi Dieter,
Yes, you could try to remove some of the abundant views. Any
reconstruction with large missing data regions in Fourier space will have
artefacts in real space. Removing some of the abundant views should keep
the resolution estimates down, and nearer to the origin of the transform,
the missing regions are smaller.
However, often the best way forward is to change your microscopy
experiment in order to get better distributions, e.g. by adding small
amounts of detergents, try with/without carbon film, change
glow/discharging/plasma cleaning procedure, change buffer, etc.
HTH,

> Hi Sjors and others,
>     can you give a recommendation as to how one should handle a dataset
> with uneven angular distribution and therefore resulting in a distorted
> 3DR? I found a paper by Boisset et al. recommending to remove
> 'redundant' images (i.e. those with similar angles and having the lowest
> CC). Another one by the Spanish group shows that the best 3DR method in
> such a case is ART. What would be best for the algorithm of Relion?
>
> Thanks for hints, best, Dieter
>
> --
> Dieter Blaas,
> Max F. Perutz Laboratories
> Medical University of Vienna,
> Inst. Med. Biochem., Vienna Biocenter (VBC),
> Dr. Bohr Gasse 9/3,
> A-1030 Vienna, Austria,
> Tel: 0043 1 4277 61630,
> Fax: 0043 1 4277 9616,
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus
Cambridge CB2 0QH, U.K.
tel: +44 (0)1223 267061
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/scheres