From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Stephanie Vann [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 September 2013 11:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Uses for sheep metapodials

Could they be part of a bone floor?

Stephanie Vann, PhD
Archaeozoologist

Sent from Windows Mail

From: Will Higgs
Sent: ýMondayý, ý9ý ýSeptemberý ý2013 ý10ý:ý45
To: [log in to unmask]

I am excavating an isolated post-mediaeval farmhouse / tenement in north Cumbria. We are finding numerous unworked sheep metapodials, especially in the upper contexts, but very few other bones. Does anyone know what these may have been used for ? I seem to remember reading that they were used in thatching, but cannot find any confirmation of this. Heather was used locally for thatching.