Hello all,

Further to Naomi's message at the start of summer, the dental ageing system has now been finalised. The system is akin to Grant 1982 (mandibular tooth eruption and wear - Dp4, P4, M1, M2, M3), but focuses on Dama dama dama. It is based on several populations of animals that are of known age.

If you did manage to take high resolution images of any mandibles that you recovered while out in the field this summer (or have the potential to take some now) please get in touch.

We are looking for a limited number of collaborators actively working on fallow deer for an article on how Dama exploitation/management varies across time and space. We would happily send you the new system to test and compare results.

Kind regards,

Frazer.

Frazer Bowen
PhD Candidate
Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project
Department of Archaeology
University of Nottingham
NG7 2RD