I think it's mostly a question of emphasis in how you define the problem;
there's a degree of irreducible complexity in a full-blown UI node - it
needs configuration, updates, potential firewall rule changes, package
installs as root, and a system running Scientific Linux.

If we define the problem as getting users onto the grid with the minimum
of hassle, then if we can shift that UI/grid boundary a bit, and make the
somewhat complicated thing we currently think of as a UI a service, and
make the thing the user has to run much simpler, then more people will
be better off.

> What I intended to ask Steve to do I estimated as taking a couple of days
> work. Given that I always underestimate these things, I'd expect around a
> week to get a site-info.def and vo.d files that worked for the operations-
> portal VOs and submitted to a WMS that actually worked for the VO in
> question.  That would be a big step forward I think - especially as the
> EMI packages are actually quite easy to install.

I think it sounds like a useful refinement for people like us - I already
have nicely maintained SL boxes with cvmfs and UIs; if I can get a well
configured UI straight out of cvmfs, it makes my life easier. It's not
going to reach potential users who are one or two academics with Windows
desktops. If we can offer them something even better (assuming that we
decide that in GridPP5 that's actually something we want to do), then
that's good too.

> For people for whom the command line is challenging, I suspect that
> portals using institutional credentials (eg SaroNGS) would be a way
> forward.

CertWizard actually takes quite a lot of the scary stuff out of getting
a real grid cert, but I think there's room for both.

Ewan