John, all,

Right, it's Friday, it's five-to-five so it's Crackjack! I'll round up
the requirements so far with a summary, and start again next week.
The first thing to say is that this work is eminently suitable for
incremental
changes - we'll get the low hanging fruit first.

We've discussed here some very specific details of Instant UI and
the scope is moving here and there (which is only right, fair play). I
can certainly see why some users get turned off x509 certs ... but I'm sure
we can boil this down to the essentials soon. There appear to
be two main parts to this job.

1) First, we could host a UI for naive users.

2) Second, we could give them the wherewithal to admin their own UI.

A lot of pros and cons for each solution type have been aired, but no
show-stoppers. In either case, we need to beef up the processes
around the options.

Some progress has already been made. Matt already has a process for a
tar-ball UI, but I need to augment it with some work on the voms entries.
Matt's process also includes a CVMFS copy. That tar-ball UI process fits
with the UI release process well. On similar lines, we will need a parallel
process for RPM/YUM/YAIM installs that also links with the UI releases.
We've also got to figure out how Yaim/VomsSnooper etc. fits into this idea.
This part can be done quite quickly and cheaply.

We will need to bring together various other information, such as
use-cases for CertWizard, use-cases for myproxy, and general tutorials
on x509 etc. Much of the data for that is held in this thread.

Thanks for all these inputs. Pls keep riffing on these ideas - I can see
lots
of places where the documentation can be improved.

Cheers again, and have a nice weekend.

Steve

--
Steve Jones                             [log in to unmask]
System Administrator                    office: 220