*apologies for nay cross-postings*

Dear colleagues,

The British Library/Academy of Social Science will be holding the final event in the Myths and Realities series of public debates on the 15th October 2013 from 18.30 - 20.00 (Terrace Restaurant, 1st floor, British Library).

We will examine why people continue to believe the social myths that they do, often in the face of strong evidence to the contrary.  Why, for instance, does research find that the general public over-estimate benefit fraud and inward-migration?  Why are politicians tempted to rely on anecdote not evidence?  This event will examine the role of the media in producing and maintaining social myths and will look at what Social Scientists can do to address the issue.

Our Chair is Professor Dame Janet Finch DBE, DL, AcSS, University of Manchester.  The speakers are Professor Ivor Gaber AcSS, City University and Professor John Holmwood AcSS, University of Nottingham and President of the British Sociological Association.

We do hope you will be able to join us.  Tickets are availabe via:

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event152253.html

With kind regards,
Robert

Robert Davies
Engagement Support Officer, Social Sciences
The British Library