Hello,

We recently published a model in the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization which addresses some of the issues raised in this thread. The model is an agent-based model in which the agent's rules are evolved using evolutionary computation, i.e., the agent learns by experience. Agents form groups which show modified power law aspects; there are clear benefits to group formation but the upper size of groups is constrained by the ability to maintain communications with ever larger numbers of individuals. The size of groups is determined largely by the relative opportunity costs of individual search and observation of other agents. Low costs lead to larger groups whose members communicate infrequently; high costs lead to small groups with intense interactions.

Wilson, et al. Costly information and the evolution of self-organization in a small, complex economy.
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 90S (2013) S76–S93

Jim Wilson
Professor of Marine Sciences and Economics
School of Marine Sciences
University of Maine
207-581-4368 (office)
207-991-4368 (cell)