From: Kate Smith<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: ý29/ý09/ý2013 07:45
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: PhD Supervisors

I think that you should do both, I have had several different post-graduate supervisors (most were brilliant, and involved different kinds of superviison 'style'), but I did have a particular supervisor who was well known and entirely unsuited to my needs as a student (some people thrive on chaos - me not).  I would have told any potential students of my expereinces, but no-one askes!  Rating supervisors will have two effects, the first to inform ones choice and options, the second to ensure that supervisors are aware that they cannot continue to do their jobs badly (and yes they are employees who are paid to do a job..)
Incidentally the students of the supervisor I mentioned above (who was actively counter-productive to my work) all said, 'she's great' while later admitting the problems they had with her.  No-one likes to bitch, particularly if the person they are bitching to may have a better relationship with the person you are bitching about in the future....Honesty can feel risky.
I am a supervisor myself now, and have learnt a lot from both  good and poor superviison, and I would appreciate the feedback from something like 'ratemyprofessor.com<http://ratemyprofessor.com>'
Kate