Ah, but is this online forum different from all the others?

The invitation states:

"This is a voluntary role and so there is no pressure on you to contribute
to set deadlines or timescales."

The "V" word in there suggests that this is yet another unpaid outlet for
people who desperately want to be seen. If there is money involved, the
announcement should say so. (No, I don't want any, because I don't qualify
as one of the "young people".)

Even an unpaid gig could have value if it really does provides a platform to
"develop a sound grounding in journalism".

The only way in which that will happen is if there is some editorial
control. Journalism means first selling your story to an editor, not writing
stuff that pops into your head when you wake up.

It also means having your copy ruthlessly edited by someone who stands
between writer and reader. Only then will the copy deal with that oh so
evident dearth of facts and informed argument.

Without an editorial interface, some would day interference, there will be
little opportunity to develop a sound grounding in journalism.

MK