Surely financing a degree should be a smaller issue now payment is done afterwards once income rises above a given level? The poorest students do get financial help while studying, as this is the only way universities can retain the ability to charge £9k per annum. The message about the changes to the funding system still doesn't seem to be getting through.A smaller issue perhaps, but still a huge one. I was fortunate enough to start uni when there were no tuition fees at all, part time work was much easier to come by and there were more generous grants for those on low incomes.  Still, many of my college friends, several with superb A'Level grades were either feeling that university, although they would love to go, was completely financially unrealistic or they would dismiss the vast majority of universities (and, related to this, specific courses) because they felt that they could only go if they stayed at home. I can't see that the situation would be any better now.
On another note, those that take part time jobs in order to cover living costs have a lot less available study time too!
Katie