I can just say that this is totally true.

When I did my diploma work (a comic) I started as a mediocre drawer. I
took me half a year and some sleepless nights toget on the desired
level. the more you practice the better you can locate yourselfamongst
others. I found myself at a closelevel to the masters of japanese color
wood cutsand loved it. It is aprocessbut the learning curve is not steady.