From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of KEITH RUSSELL [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Simon on painting

Dear Jude,

I don't have any problem including all that you talk about as part of
imagination.

Cheers

keith

On 3/09/13 12:55 PM, "CHUA Soo Meng Jude (PLS)" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Dear Keith, I think you are probably right. Although this seems be the
>way my son paints - he is a toddler.  But consider this other example:
>Kandinsky comes home and discovers a beautiful painting, only to realize
>that it was his own painting of a symphony put on its side - then the
>realization that art is not merely about imitation, but also the
>splashing of vivid colors.  And thus was born the father of modern art.
>Not sure if this is accurate, whether I got my art history right, but
>even if hypothetical, makes the point, not that design needs imagination
>(it does of course!), but that design can in fact be unplanned, and
>sometimes good design (ok, again contested ground here) is the
>attentiveness to side effects and unintended because unforeseen
>consequences (here again bounded rationality, a recurrent theme) suggest
>new good goals.  Perhaps this is really stretching the word "design".

World-leading research.  The government rated 8 areas of our research activity as world-leading in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, they were:   Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design; English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies; History; Music; Psychology and Social Work & Social Policy & Administration.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named
recipient(s)only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in
error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show
them to anyone please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and
then immediately delete the e-mail from your system. Any opinions
expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.
Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are
free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good computing
practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which
may not be a 100% secure communications

DISCLAIMER : The information contained in this email, including any attachments, may contain confidential information.
This email is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) listed above. Unauthorised sight, dissemination or any other
use of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by fault, please
notify the sender and delete it immediately.