Ah, terry. Terry, Terry, Terry.

Your definition of definition is indeed a definition. But it is not
necessarily correct.

Read Wittgenstein on the definition of a game.

Modern cognitive scientists prefer a nearest neighbor definition. People
have a prototypical example of things: a tree, dog, bird, fish. A designer,
artist, engineer.   Then, for any instance, they place the instance in the
multi-dimensional attribute space and name it by the prototype to which it
is closest, weighted by contextual cues, information, etc. (If you want a
math model, consider a Bayesian network, with a-priories and current
evidence).

One of my favorite examples is night and day. Everyone knows what night and
day are, but try defining the boundary: there are multiple "official"
definitions. Most of us just accept that dawn and dusk are neither day nor
night but rather some in-between state.

So your claim that we must somehow find a definition that includes all
possible cases and excludes all possible non-cases is wonderful and
valuable, but very seldom obtainable in the real world in which some of us
live.

Very truly yours,

Don

--