Welcome to the SIG itself!

The Special Interest Group aims to support, develop, sustain and influence policy in open education. Essentially it is a forum for exchange of ideas and practice across all sectors of education.

BACKGROUND
We kicked the group off at the ALT Conference this week and we hope that the group will develop its own networking and activities but that it will become an important part of the link between ALT and the OER Conferences - the next conference is OER14 due for Newcastle next April.

WHAT ISSUES ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU?
At Nottingham this week we had a useful discussion where people spoke about the issues in Open Education that they would like a SIG to discuss.  These are summarised in  a short paper along with some date from a survey conducted of possible SIG members during 2012. However now we are together online it is an ideal opportunity to open up the discussion further and see what people would like to add to this agenda.

SIG OFFICERS
We do need to establish a small committee of SIG members to help manage our activities and there have been three volunteers already but more are welcome and nit would be especially good to build representation from FE, Work Based Learning and Community Learning.

I suggest that we have a formal call for offers to act as officers early in October .

Alastair Clark

PS Have a graet weekend