As one of the first cohorts of P2000 I had some interesting experiences. I did a pre-nursing course in Ireland before the sole benefit of which was a class on interview skills, touch typing classes and hands on HCA (then called nurses aide) work experience, Through the work placement I got a part time job in the same role alternating working in a very old style long stay gerontology hospital (damp dust on a Tues, dry on a Thursday, leave the ward when Dr came once a week. I was called "junior" by the Sister (a nun) and wasn't allowed speak directly to her) and in a very progressive cancer hospice in the same grounds.

When I got to UK for my training I found that very few of my classmates had "hands on" ward experience. I found this gave me a head start on the ward placements as I was happy to get stuck in with the hands on patient care (and equipment cleaning if needed) which in turn seemed to make the qualified nurses happy to teach me. I heard many of my classmates declare "we have not been trained to make beds or wash patients" and saw many standing around the nurses station aimlessly. I strongly feel the pre-training experience I had helped make me a better more caring nurse. Unfortunately I had one old style ward sister who gave out to me for not knowing "my place" which apparently meant standing around the nurses station while patients who needed assistance waited for the busy permanent staff to get to them.

Carr