Dear List,

I would appreciate any advice according to the practice and guidelines you all work to in regards to record keeping and access to records.

Recently an employee submitted an email to OHU about their supervisor (who was unnamed in the email) the supervisor requested a copy of their own notes to see this email. But it had only been filed on the employees records. The data protection controller suggested it should have been included because we could have identified who it was about. We have various arguments against this including the obvious of confidentiality.

However it has raised questions about how we store/file their records in comparison to other OH teams….
1.	I would be grateful if people could tell me what information you use to ensure documentation is filed correctly i.e. is it only name, date of birth, employee number or do you use something else?
2.	What lengths to people go to, to identify information correctly i.e. If it doesn’t have easily identifiable information on, do you destroy it or try to identify the person?
3.	Do you allow communications from line manager about an employee to go on the employees file (the line manager may be submitting it without the individuals knowledge)?
4.	Finally – vice-versa do you allow communications about a line manager from and employee to go on the line managers file?

Our current process involves us only recording information if we have a full name and either employee number or date of birth on it. We do record details from a line manager on the employees files and the employee can access them if they follow the correct process, but not vice versa. I wanted to establish if this is the norm in other OH departments.

Many thanks in advance for your advice or guidance.

Katie

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: