In my experience each and every place I work has different priorities. Some ie my construction era were very HSE driven and due to transient workforce it was impossible to do sickness absence as they would be there one day then moved to another site. Some education was possible but it was hit and miss especially due to the diverse language barriers. I had to be pragmatic and focus on what I could achieve within the time and budget.

However now I am in a pharma company and its static and so the ability to slowly ( poor ability to change and restricted hours and budget) move to more strategic focus and be proactive is my goal. I spent 3 years collecting data and have recently presented to the UK Exec team my vision. It’s a slow process and that’s not considering the employees barriers. So I-

·         assessed the budget

·         resource

·         culture of the business

and set an achievable plan and then used the data to provide site specific results. This has been back breaking and frustrating but I have after 3 years finally turned the corner. I found they wanted evidence and more importantly based on their industry and ideally their site. I chipped away at the smaller areas bit by bit.

Sadly it’s a chicken and egg as they need the day to day to continue while you work on the above. If you don’t have the evidence then I found you don’t get the buy in and therefore the money and support.

No one said our job was easy and we are thank goodness a determined bunch!