Bereavement isnt an illness, its a natural (albeit unpleasant ) process. However - peoples reaction to bereavement is so variable, and I have yet to determine when it becomes a more "clinical" state eg depression. And its a situation that a lot of people dont want to tackle from a management perspective, especially when a GP is sanctioning longer term absence via a fit note. In cynical moments I believe this could be termed as "medicalisation", especially when there is no evidence of intervention or treatment. When faced with similar cases in the past I have been tempted to sit on the fence but have normally stated my bit about bereavement being a natural process etc so from a clinical perspective I might consider the individual "fit" to return to work but that the GP (as his patients advocate)may disagree, and then outline ways that management may want to expedite a return to work by offering reduced hours etc and that they may need to acknowledge that performance and demeanour may be adversely affected in the longer term .  The effects of bereavement are normally fairly acute for 12 months or so, and the anniversary of the loved ones death is a pivotal moment. So to me it begs the question  - what about people that DONT take extended absence but come to work, and get on with it accompanied by their grief? Doesnt seem quite equable to me.

In answer to your question, I believe that an employer may indeed have the right to dismiss if the persons attendance does not meet a satisfactory standard (defined in their policies) , esp if their absences are high without the "bereavement" ones.

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 16:51:59 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Bereavement when it goes on
To: [log in to unmask]

Sorry this is longHave
 a case young girl off since her  Mum died 2.5 months ago- does not want counseling does not want to talk to any but her family. (I have informed
 her of Cruse)
Reading around the subject to see different policies - so many organizations suggest go back when you feel ready . Also came across the following case (please see below) . Do I understand correctly that in theory an employee may lose their job for taking extended or (more than one) bereavement leave? from this. I am trying to coax her back to work with phasing in etc.. etc..
With all sympathy when is grief too long? I do not want to lose my therapeutic relationship with her and push too hard.
As always many thanks
Jane

Forster v Cartwright Black [2004] IRLR 781, EAT

Within
 five months of the commencement of her employment, Forster had taken 12
 days' bereavement leave following the death of her father. Five months
later, her mother died. She then took five days' bereavement leave, and
suffered an illness described as a 'bereavement reaction', for which she
 took two consecutive periods of two weeks' certified sick leave.
Prior to the first bereavement and before the second, she had five
other days of sick. At the end of the month of bereavement reaction
illness, she was dismissed due to her absence record. She claimed unfair
 dismissal in the employment tribunal on the grounds that she was
dismissed for taking time off in consequence of the death of a dependant
 under s.57A of the Employment Rights Act 1996.
Her case failed because the employment tribunal held that following a
 doctor's advice not to work did not amount to "action which is
necessary ... in consequence of the death of a dependant".
The Employment Appeal Tribunal agreed with that finding. Her
dismissal because of her absence record was not for an inadmissible
reason.
The law is clear that taking time off is a "necessary action" in
consequence of a death. This does not have to be applied solely to
making funeral arrangements, but also includes other actions that have
to be taken when a dependant dies.
However, the court confirmed that the provisions of the Act are not
intended to create a right to compassionate leave as a result of a
bereavement, but are only intended to enable people to deal with the
practicalities of death. Jane

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: