Many thanks to all for your very helpful references!
As for my speech, the European medieval properties of crystal do not seem to offer a suitable metaphor in the context, but I think I've found something "usable" in Hindu lapidaries: according to Mircea Eliade, the Hindu tradition considered crystal as an "unripe" diamond.
Thanks again for your help :)
Marjorie