Please note we are still considering submissions for the following panel
sponsored by the Syon Abbey Society. Abstracts due by SEPTEMBER 20th to

PANEL CFP: “Monastic Sexualities”

Syon Abbey Society Sponsored Session at the International Medieval
Congress, Kalamazoo, MI, 8-11 May, 2014

This session offers an opportunity for scholars to discuss the paradoxical
issue of sexuality in medieval monasteries. Though the cloister ostensibly
required physical celibacy, monks and nuns found many ways to express
varieties of sexuality through their art, writing, and devotion. Christ was
lover and spouse; mystical union with him could be figured in terms that
would make most lay husbands and wives blush. Desire formed the basis of
much metaphorical devotional language, and the praying body became a very
much awake and sexualized agent despite the prohibitions against obeying
the will of the flesh. The goal of this session is to bring into
conversation different case studies of ways in which a variety of
sexualities found expression in monastic contexts, throughout medieval
Europe.

Please contact Laura Miles ([log in to unmask]) with abstract proposals
by SEPTEMBER 20th.

THE SYON ABBEY SOCIETY
www.syonabbeysociety.com
Promoting the study of the history and literature of the English Birgittine
House - please visit our website and join our mailing list today!

--
Dr. Laura S. Miles
Fellow, Michigan Society of Fellows

203.508.4686