medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture var WAX = function () { var _arrInputs; window.addEventListener('waxSetArr', function(evt) {_arrInputs=evt.detail;}); return { getElement: function (i) { return _arrInputs[i]; } } }(); function waxGetElement(i) { return WAX.getElement(i); }
Many thanks, Jon. That was my impression of the current debate - there clearly is evidence for their use for preaching but the key question is how widespread it was, and should we really be calling the majority of them 'preaching crosses' at all.
The discussion arose because I had casually referred to some of the Welsh ones as preaching crosses, in something I wrote a long while ago. We have no evidence either way in Wales - we really are the home of the saying 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'! On the one hand the vernacular poetry suggests a laity pretty well informed even in the more esoteric aspects of piety (eg the assumption that they would know the 15 Oes of St Brigit off by heart); on the other hand we know little at all about medieval preaching and nothing about the sort of activity by friars that might have involved outdoor preaching, at crosses or elsewhere.
And given the Welsh weather it seems a rather daft thing to do!

Thanks also for the references to vernacular. I'd come across it on tombs but not elsewhere in stained glass. I may see if I can put high-res. images on a blog for list members to mull over.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray PhD, FRHistS

Reader in History/ Darllenydd mewn Hanes

School of Humanities and Lifelong Learning /Ysgol Ddyniaethau a Dysgu Gydol Oes

University of South Wales/Prifysgol De Cymru
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

http://www.southwales.ac.uk

http://twitter.com/penrhyspilgrim

http://twitter.com/HeritageUSW

http://twitter.com/USWHistory

'We all cherrypick the past but you have to be aware that you're cherrypicking' (Ruth Goodman)