Thanks for sharing. Interesting the level of granularity this offers, even allowing measurement of visitor responses to individual objects in-gallery.

Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott Brewer
Sent: 02 September 2013 07:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: More on iBeacon and "the end of NFC"

Hi All,

Scott Brewer from Art Processors here, I think this is the first time I've written to the list so hello to all.  Great conversation on BTLE and beacons.

For those that aren't aware of Art Processors we created the in house guide, "The O", for Hobart's Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) back in 2010. The focus of The O was on providing location relevant content for visitors, it was launched on and in-house fleet of  devices only due to the needs (at the time) of an external real time location system.  Since launching The O we've been working frantically at creating a simple to use content delivery system for mobile applications and websites which we call the Enso Platform.

Backstory over we've been using Bluetooth LE beacons of our own design for a just under a year now to get indoor position for capable devices.  Our first roll out of BTLE beacons was for the State Library of New South Wales "Curio" application (http://curio.sl.nsw.gov.au/  built using and managed by the Library on our Enso platform) back in March and we've been refining the tech since and will be rolling out onsite at MONA in November with the launch of version 2 of the mobile app and website.

If anyone's interested in elements of bluetooth beacons we would be more than happy to answer your questions, it has been a pretty interesting challenge to incorporate it nicely into our apps, lots of frustrations and lots of eureka moments (and, I imagine, many more to come).  The technology really is quite amazing and, I feel, will offer all kinds of benefits for both visitors and staff (we're using them for data transfer, location and security, we'll be implementing a few more uses of them down the track).  We'll be at Museums and the Web Asia in December if anyone wants to have a look at them and how they work or if anyone has any more interest please feel free to get in touch.

You can have a look at our beacons here: http://artprocessors.net/ap-beacons/

Cheers,
Scott.

-
Scott Brewer
Co-Founder  *  Art Processors Pty Ltd
[log in to unmask] *  0415 150 156  *  www.artprocessors.net

Melbourne: 17 Bedford Street, Collingwood, VIC 3066 Australia  *  +61 (0) 3 9419 5416
Sydney: L3, 85 William Street, Darlinghurst, 2010 NSW Australia  *  +61 (0) 2 8580 5825

On 30/08/2013, at 10:08 PM, Tony Crockford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 28 Aug 2013, at 11:23, Mike Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Personally I think this could be huge for in-gallery mobile stuff
>
> +1 on that.
>
> Our Estimote beacons are on pre-order.
> :)
>
> However, no matter what the technology, I think the big deal is still about content creation, creating object interpretations, content managing those interpretations and having an interesting story to tell are more important than how the story is delivered.
>
> That's the direction we're approaching it from at least, with the ongoing objective of creating systems that allow for content creation once and delivery many times via a variety of now and future mechanisms.
>
> Seems to me that *beacons* can make those stories more engaging, by having an object call out to passers by.  The fact that they are unaffected by our miserable weather also make them very interesting for large scale outdoor implementations.   (Living museums and sculpture parks, I'm looking at you!)
>
> A museum trail would now be much more fun!
>       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
>       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
>      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
> [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately, permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton Council in accordance with current regulations.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses currently known to Bolton Council. However, the recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and any attachment.

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Bolton Council.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk
       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg