Hi,

Maarten Litmaath wrote:
> Hallo Jan Just,

>>> No, by design!
>>>
>> where is this specified?
>
> It has been like that from the very first of our grid projects;
> we might find this documented in EDG/EGEE design documents,
> but think about it: how would a pass phrase help in this case?
>
> You would have to inform all entities that need to renew or
> retrieve a proxy from the MyProxy server: how do you do that,
> in a secure way?
>
> Sure, the WMS could be told the pass phrase at job submission or
> proxy delegation time, but do you actually _want_ someone's WMS
> to know the password?!  What if the machine gets compromised?
>
> Long ago the grid projects came up with a different way:
> make the WMS a trusted _renewer_ of proxies.
> There are 3 authorization steps required for that to work:
>
> 1. The WMS must authenticate with its host cert.
> 2  Its host DN must be registered in the user-supplied MyProxy
>    server as a trusted renewer.
> 2. The WMS must present the proxy to be renewed while that proxy
>    is still _valid_.
>
> There are other acceptable ways for a MyProxy server to be used
> and some services (e.g. Nagios) do so, but the WMS can only do
> what we just described.
>

>> The system (upload a passphrase protected robot cert generated proxy
>> to a MyProxy server)
>> has been in operation for 4 years or more and only recently this
>> problem popped up. Is
>> this behaviour new?
>
> No, but there appears to have been some confusion; see below.

>>> Why?!
>> the robot token is located in a protected server room on an isolated
>> well-controlled
>> machine. A proxy is generated every 24 hours and uploaded using a
>> well known password (and
>
> Aha, a well known password...  Understandable, but not needed when
> the MyProxy server is used better.
>
>> using "-d" ) to the MyProxy server.
>> The portal host on which the proxy is needed grabs  a proxy using
>> this "well-known" password.
>> This has been working for nearly 4 years - could be we just got lucky
>> during those 4
>> years, but where was it specified that you cannot do this?
>
> You can do _that_, but it is not what this discussion was about!
>
> The question was: can a _WMS_ renew a proxy protected with a pass phrase?
> Answer: no, by design.

I wasn't clear in my previous email: what I meant was:

can a WMS renew a proxy from a MyProxy server that was uploaded with a
passphrase? I'm not saying the WMS would know the passphrase, but as the
WMS is a trusted renewer it may not need the passphrase at all.

We've now changed the way the proxy is uploaded to the MyProxy server to
use a username and password; the WMS seems to upload its own proxy to
the MyProxy store, so hopefully the renewal process now works.

Steven Burke wrote:
> I don't understand what you mean by "well-known" - a) if it's well-known how does it add any security, and b) how you you expect the WMSes to know it? I also don't understand why you would do it every 24 hours - the whole point of myproxy is that it can hold long-lived proxies.

The *reason* for using a passphrase is that if  you do not specify a
passphrase and you want to use DN-based retrieval (i.e. "-d") then you
must have a valid proxy or cert/key pair on the "retriever" host. If the
retriever host is down for a longer period of time then its proxy
expires and you have to manually jumpstart the process by sending a new
proxy via some other route to the retrieving host.

I agree that it's not necessary to do this every 24 hours, I used to do
it every 48 hours but there was a VOMS-related issue at the time, which
I avoided by doing it every 24 hours.

cheers,

JJK / Jan Just Keijser
Nikhef