*With apologies for cross-posting*

The University of Kent is currently recruiting for a new role of Digital Curator which may be of interest to colleagues.

The Role

The Digital Curator is responsible for ensuring that the University’s extensive library collections can be found, accessed and used to advance scholarship across and between disciplines. The post holder will also lead the development of our capacity and capability in digital content curation and create effective, sustainable strategies for systematic digitisation of physical content.

In the rapidly changing information landscape, this role will help us to position the University to contribute to, exploit and realise benefits from the emerging linked data and open data movements. The post holder will lead, support and develop a talented and highly committed team to maximise opportunities presented by these changes.

The Person

We’re looking for a forward thinking, creative and technically competent person who enjoys working across teams and is comfortable prioritising a varied and complex workload to complete tasks to agreed deadlines. Confident handling printed books, manuscripts, digitised material and born digital collections you will have an in-depth knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques and trends in metadata models, archival theory and concepts and digital preservation.

As an effective communicator and eager collaborator; you will employ a consultative approach to planning, implementing and delivering projects and initiatives.

With a strong focus on the rare and distinctive collections of national importance held by the University, you will apply your experience and understanding of the challenges and opportunities presented in curating digital and physical content and associated metadata so it can be found and used by our students and academics and enable harvesting of content and metadata by external services to reach new audiences. You will have strategies for recognising, understanding and harnessing changes in information culture and the technological environment. The Digital Curator will ensure that connections can be made between content in our different collections, the experts who can support effective use and exploitation of this content and our learning, teaching and research community.

For full details of the role and the selection criteria please refer to the further particulars: OTR0748_FPs.pdf

Further Information

Ref: OTR0748

Location: Canterbury

Job Type: Other Support

Contract Type: Open Ended

Salary Type: Per Annum

Salary (£): 31644 - 36661

Closing date for applications: 11 Oct 2013

Interviews are to be held: 05 Nov 2013

If you require further information regarding the application process please contact Gemma Ray on [log in to unmask]. Otherwise please contact me if you wish to discuss this role further: [log in to unmask], +44 (0)1227 827649

Applications must be made online via the University website; details sent directly via email cannot be considered.

Regards

Robin

Robin Armstrong Viner

Head of Collection Management