On 7 October the German Philosophy Seminar at the Institute of Modern Languages Research (previously known as the Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies) resumes. We meet, normally biweekly, on Mondays from 16:00-18:00 in Senate House, room 246, University of London.

The topic for the whole academic year will be: materialism in German Philosophy. From the beginnings of German thought in the alchemy of Boehme's Aurora, via Schelling's philosophy of nature and the rise of historical materialism, to the climatological materialism of Sloterdijk's Spheres, we will examine the ground motif of materiality: the outside of thought, the limit and its transgression, and how it has shaped the history of European philosophy.

There is a blog for the seminar with up-to-date information: http://germanphilosophy.wordpress.com/

The IMLR link:

http://events.sas.ac.uk/imlr/events/view/14057/Materialism+in+German+Philosophy+-+From+Boehme+to+Sloterdijk+and+Beyond

Please register in advance: [log in to unmask]

Dr Johan Siebers
Institute of Modern Languages Research
School of Advanced Study
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
WC1E 7HU
London

+44 20 7862 8738
+44 7894 741174
http://www.igrs.sas.ac.uk<http://www.igrs.sas.ac.uk/>
http://www.sas.academia.edu/siebers

'Banality is counter-revolution.' (Isaac Babel)