PhD position on the deep structure of a subduction zone megathrust,
University of Southern California.

I am looking for a student to carry out field and analytical work on
high-strain rocks associated with the Cretaceous subduction zone
interface in northern California, to start in either January or August
2014.The work will require detailed field structural analysis together
with microstructural analysis using optical microscopy, electron
backscatter diffraction (EBSD) on the scanning electron microscope, and
other analytical techniques. The project has NSF funding, and USC offers
five years of financial support with full remission of tuition fees.The
successful candidate will have a Bachelors or Masters degree in Geology
with a strong background in Structural Geology, Tectonics, and
Petrology.Candidates who already have a degree (or will graduate by this
December), and wish to start in January, should apply immediately:
please contact me on [log in to unmask] for more information on the project
and on the application procedure. We will be looking for additional
students to work on similar topics for admission in August 2014:
applications should be submitted by January 1st.

--
Professor J.P. Platt
Department of Earth Sciences